Author Topic: XS1100 chain drive conversion  (Read 26310 times)

Offline Christian Raith

• Administrator
  • I Just LOVE the XS1100
    • XS1100 Australia
Re: XS1100 chain drive conversion
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2012, 08:08:15 AM »
Mobile: +61418243503

Offline excess.11

• Jeff
  • Welcome to the group. Now let us know a bit about you in General Discussions and PM me your postal details so I can send you our group stickers etc.
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2012, 06:19:53 PM »
Here s some very interesting pics / info/thoughts/problem solving on an as yet unfinished attempt of modding an xs1100 and chain drive conversion.The guys name is"Smoke Dog"...... and its off the "Motorcyclist" Forum in the USA.

http://forums.motorcyclistonline.com/70/8547965/the-general-forum/xs1100-chain-conversion-kit/index.html

These projects seem to create a lot of opinions on what will and won t  work .
So......"Don t shoot me.......I m only the Piano player".
 ;D ;) :)

Offline excess.11

• Jeff
  • Welcome to the group. Now let us know a bit about you in General Discussions and PM me your postal details so I can send you our group stickers etc.
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2011, 11:55:06 AM »
If your into drag racing and XS1100 s ........it s drool material . :P :P :P

Offline AussiXS11G

• Administrator
  • mmmmmm XS1100
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2011, 08:32:42 AM »
It could look like that - bur would one want it to? :o
Bryan
Mobile 0404 540 617
1998 Laverda 750S
1984 Laverda RGS 1000
1980 Yamaha XS11
1980 XS1100 outfit
http://s578.photobucket.com/home/aussixs11G/allalbums
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=aussixs11g&aq=f

Offline excess.11

• Jeff

Offline tracktune

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2010, 10:45:56 AM »
CB1100RC top section and an aftermaket katana lower will only work with thw tank cut out so the clip-ons have clearance  :D
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 10:50:13 AM by tracktune »

Offline melbxs

• Melbourne '81 RH
  • Brian - 1981 XS1100RH
    • XS1100RH Gallery
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2010, 10:24:07 AM »
Left hand side

What fairing is that? Looks quite a bit like the La Parisienne from Mad Max on the Z1000.

Offline tracktune

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2010, 07:53:22 AM »
Here are some more figures i found that may interest you ,rear wheel efe 1984 model 140/ 90/ 18 ,front sprocket 12t with  KTM spline  had to be made up as Ktm only produced a 14t min , rear sprocket was 32T or 33T ,engine did rev to just over 10,500 in the lower gears and just under 10,000 in top .

Offline tracktune

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2010, 11:01:59 PM »
Yep thats what the guy on a worked FJ 12 said (WTF) when she pulled away from him at 260kph  :o
1254 kit stroker crank ,balanced ,oh and dont forget the close mesh gear box,all ads up also head had to be cut out so the cams could roll around with out hanging up .as far as the fairings and chassis went,the faster it went the more she stucked to the road ,definitly far from your stock XS .the 16inch front made her steer quick in the tight stuff ,but at the same time the rack gave her stability in a straight line . 
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 11:09:13 PM by tracktune »

Offline pgnz

• Welcome to the group. Now let us know a bit about you in General Discussions
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2010, 10:37:49 PM »
WTF?  305KPH.  Must be turbo or something,  unless the cranks been shaved wafer thin and fekk knows what else with the conrods cams valves and stuff,   the fairing has to be aerodynamic then,  the sprocket gear ratio if you dial the cams to max power at 9000 revs it has to shite down low in the revs so not a road bike,   good kick at 1500 revs thru to 8500 is where it's at for the street, tight corners, hills,   traffic,    the 8 plug thing is on the cards if it boosts the power, waiting on mro to show us how to do it

Offline Eveready1100

• Have Bike, Will Ride.
  • Childers , QLD
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2010, 01:06:14 PM »
To be honest, I didn't remember the filter at all. I spotted it in the first photo you posted. Pics of  bikes that are different get extra scrutiny around here. Just made the assumption from seeing the layout in the shot.
Whereabouts are you keeping these days?
Errol
1979 XS1100 SF Special
1978 XS1100E Donor
"I know stuff about stuff."

Offline tracktune

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2010, 08:15:02 AM »
Yer can recall pretty well everything from those days , bit hard to forget riding the elephant i think it was dynoed back then on a water dyno at around the 180HP mark couldnt get an acuate reading as the back wheel would cut lose at 170 mark  ;D,and yep the oil line failed on the return side of the remote filter ,you remember right it did have a Z9 filter fitted at the front of the back wheel   you probebley remember it back then because i used to race the only  Mac3 on the track around that time as well  8)  Ill have a look and see if i can find some pics of her and the Mac  back then ,had a marrage break up since then and most of the pics went missing.
Yer carnt remember names real well but can remember everthing about a bike , the XS had EFE wheels and floating rotors ,xs forks with TZ internals,hond front calipers and triple trees suzuki rear caliper running upside down ,KTM out put shaft with 12T front ,orginal duct tail was CB1100Rc single seat ,later changed to ZXR750,fairing was Cb1100rc top with aftermarket Katana lower section ,oh and EBC brake pads, i was running on the street Bridge stone ballax  BT 45s but did change the front to a 002 Yoky in the end ,yer could quite easily rebuild her out of my head  :D
Cheers
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 09:33:23 AM by tracktune »

Offline Eveready1100

• Have Bike, Will Ride.
  • Childers , QLD
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2010, 12:53:40 AM »
Glad to hear it wasn't you that got skittled back then, though it was a young fellow (Dave, maybe????) that did get taken out, and worked at / owned the shop around that time or thereabouts. Memories are a bit hazy now, but I do remember the gut wrenching shock at finding out about it.
Speaking of memories. I thought it was pretty neat remembering details of a bike I had no particular interest in at the time, as I was into my 2 stroke Kwakas then,  but for you to be able to recall what type of tyres you were testing when you had your stack all that time ago is amazing! Did that oil line that let go happen to be one going to what looks like a remote mounted filter in front of the back wheel?
Sorry about all the questions, but it's really got my head going.
You wouldn't have any more pics of the bike, by any chance?
Errol
1979 XS1100 SF Special
1978 XS1100E Donor
"I know stuff about stuff."

Offline tracktune

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2010, 11:01:33 PM »
Left hand side

Offline tracktune

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2010, 10:55:29 PM »
Had one of those flashback moments last night. I remember seeing an XS11 at a small bike shop I used to frequent in 1985 or thereabouts. It was called Mark Savage motorcycles and located at Geebung, Brisbane. It was a chain drive bike with the 8 plug head on it. Maybe this was the bike in question? He had a young chap working for him who was racing at the time but he was tragically kiiled in a traffic accident so it may have belonged to him? The last I heard of Mark was that he was working at Morgan & Wackers in Brisbane so maybe we could begin a trace to find where it ended up?

Twas all this talk about the 8 plug head that jogged my memory.
Yep that was mine ;D ,I was the tyre fitter there and used the xs to test tyres as well , actual clocked top speed at that time was 305KPH with a quater mile pass of flat 10s in street trim  and she handled like she was on rails ,didnt have a traffic accident but did have an oil line blow in the bus stop at Lackside at about 150kph and high sided coming out,if i remember right i was testing an  A49 on the front and a 180 slick on the rear 8).

This is after a couple of body mods in 1991
I used to have a ductail with xs1100 embosed on it until the chain decided to brake a link and tore through the side of it .