Author Topic: second gear  (Read 4368 times)

Offline leftysxs1100

• Welcome to the group. Now let us know a bit about you in General Discussions and email me your postal details so I can send you our group stickers etc.
Re: second gear
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 11:42:27 AM »
Thanks guys a job for the new year

Offline pgnz

• Welcome to the group. Now let us know a bit about you in General Discussions
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 08:53:05 AM »

Offline steptoe

• Administrator
  • Geoff,, a XS addict,, Bundy QLD
    • Bikes and trucks what more could you want
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 08:24:42 AM »
OMG, :o don't go talking like that, :D

I'll bet he can't do that down his driveway so that it lands up-side down in the right spot in his shed  ::)

and then there is lesson 2 on how to flip one,
                                  - speed, fast enough  ???
                                  - exit stage right---------------in a hurry  :-\
                                  - and put the bike over the chair  :o
fair bet he can't do that either in a small space  ;D :D :P

Offline pgnz

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 08:21:39 AM »
I've flipped mine upside down a few times,  it's not a small job,  got to remove everything out of the way that would get squished or bent rolling the bike over.  Includes switches, levers,  lights, instruments etc..   I bolt a steel pipe in place of the handlebars so the bike can flop over and sit firm.  Probably the only advantage over completely removing the engine is you don't need to shag with engine mounts,  carbs,  airbox, rear drive and other stuff.  Hard part is getting the bike back upright from lying on it's side. It's all about angles and leverage points, not brute strength.   Easiest way is to grab the front wheel and twist.

Offline excess.11

• Jeff
  • Welcome to the group. Now let us know a bit about you in General Discussions and PM me your postal details so I can send you our group stickers etc.
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 06:47:51 AM »
Lesson 1) How to flip a sidecar outfit.
                 -Straddle motorcycle and turn on engine.
                 -Ride outfit in straight line until speed approaches 80kph
                 -Pull a Lefty........... Lefty
                 - :o ;) ;D ;D
                 -

Offline leftysxs1100

• Welcome to the group. Now let us know a bit about you in General Discussions and email me your postal details so I can send you our group stickers etc.
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 11:56:37 PM »
After xmas i will give it a go solo has the second gear gone

BUT any idears how to flip the out fi tover  with 1st and 2nd going and 3rd jumping as well lol :P ;D

i did hear that the 3nd gear was shimmed wrong from factory the shim is on the wrong side ??????

thanks for your time an pics

lefty

Offline pgnz

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 07:27:25 AM »
For sure a removed and stripped engine is the easiest of all to work on

Offline steptoe

• Administrator
  • Geoff,, a XS addict,, Bundy QLD
    • Bikes and trucks what more could you want
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 09:39:35 PM »
for those that haven't done it before, it's a huge job, the main pita, is getting ALL the bolts that hold the casings together, remember the "hidden" ones

personally I wouldn't bother turning the bike upside down, you can have the motor out and pulled apart in 1 1/2  hr and do it on a bench
if you have a manual, follow it step by step, and go steady, bobs your uncle

Offline Jonesy

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 03:14:27 PM »
Hey pgnz
Makes it sound easy and straight forward. I always felt a bit daunted if ever had to do it after reading some of the procedures. but like you say flip  her on her back, open her up and go for it.
could even be enjoyable ;)
2 X 78E's
TRX 850.
CT 110
3rd XS not bought yet

Offline pgnz

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 03:00:38 PM »

I've done it,  undercut both  1st and 2nd gears,  it's a pita,  I removed the exhaust, tank, battery, levers, blinkers etc..  and rolled the bike over and upside down and tore the sump cover off from there.  Don't waste your time trying to do it lying on the ground from underneath,  it's a big enough hassle getting the stupid countershaft out and back without making it any harder on yourself.

The countershaft and it's cogs is what you want to remove.  Got to slide-out the rod with the selectors on it first.    The yank xs11 site has pages of complicated waffle and pics guaranteed to confuse, but easier just to get in there and ignore most of the the yank B.S. and suss it yourself and do it your own way.  Once the countershaft is out you deal to the cogs by undercutting, either by sending the cogs to your nearest gear-cutting experts or else grind away at the dogs and slots freehand yourself.    Getting the whole circus back in to the sump is the trickiest part,  bugger-all room to move in there

Offline excess.11

• Jeff
  • Welcome to the group. Now let us know a bit about you in General Discussions and PM me your postal details so I can send you our group stickers etc.
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 11:51:34 AM »
i believe there are a few step by step" how to do its" on the us site........ as well as the uk forum......as well as hints on what to do and what not to do by guys here who have already done this procedure..
Ive read that you can drain the fluids.........and if you have the ability..ie a few good men and some overhead supporting rafters..........first select 4th gear.......then invert the bike upside down and suspend from aforsaid rafters.Remove the clutch.....remove the sump and you can access and carry out the repair to 2n d gear while the engine is still in the bike.
There are a couple of fixes i have heard of......... some more recomended than others, by some.
1) Undercut the gear using a dremmel tool.
2)Use of a spacer washer.
3)Replace the worn gear with a new one......( and i wish you all the luck in the world in finding that!!! )
This is just a starter to get your taste buds going.........Best of luck my friend...the proverbial " can of worms " is about to overflow.......
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 11:53:25 AM by excess.11 »

Offline leftysxs1100

second gear
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 09:48:51 AM »
ANY TIPS FIXING SECOND GEAR

need to do it by may 2012

cheers lefty