Author Topic: Dynatek coils DC1-1 - out with the old and in with the new  (Read 12984 times)

Offline BrettS

• Novice bike rider
Re: Dynatek coils DC1-1 - out with the old and in with the new
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2016, 12:24:01 PM »
Seems Orange is 1-4 and Grey is 2-3 red to both ill put red to the bottom, other to the top

Offline Jonesy

• Welcome to the group. Now let us know a bit about you in General Discussions and email me your postal details so I can send you our group stickers etc.
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2011, 01:19:28 PM »
WOO HOO!!!
New coils in ......missing and farting gone.(the bike not me)
I'm a happy little vegemite.

Now for that 4 into 2 system to plump up that slightest  trace of a flat spot that remains.

PS it seems it doesnt matter which terminal you use as long as you got the right colours going to the right pairing of spark plugs.

For those of you that have a similar problem that no amount of carbyfiddling and tuning wont fix. I would highly reccomend this mod. $170 and a few hours in the shed well worth it.
2 X 78E's
TRX 850.
CT 110
3rd XS not bought yet

Offline steptoe

• Administrator
  • Geoff,, a XS addict,, Bundy QLD
    • Bikes and trucks what more could you want
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2011, 08:44:58 AM »
what if we work backwards for a minute, ???
which coils on your bike, 1 & 4,,, 2 & 3,,, had which colours feeding them, and which lead was on which side with what colour
now place the new coils in situ and run the same leads / wires to them,,,

as you were saying with the wasted spark both leads fire at the same time, one fires on compression, the other on exhaust,

so which wire on which pole may not be so important, as long as you get the right wires feeding the right coil

if you get it wired wrong, the first thing you'll probly hear is it firing thru the carbs, doubt you'd blow the motor on a single push of the starter button, you'll know instantly if it's right

just on the ballist resistor,, my understanding is it has nothing to do with the tci,, more the fact on starting, to ensure if you have a low batt, it boosts the starting system, so at least 6 volts go the coils to start, once the bike's running it sits idle
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 08:47:37 AM by steptoe »

Offline Jonesy

• Welcome to the group. Now let us know a bit about you in General Discussions and email me your postal details so I can send you our group stickers etc.
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2011, 08:48:12 PM »
Thanks mate
far as i can work out i got the grey wire matched to the 1 & 4 plugs and the orange to the 2 & 3 plugs or vice versa.
but which terminal doI  put the grey and R/W and the orange and R/w wire to?  Thers no + or- to go off and once you start talking primary and secondary I'm lost and they aint marked either. So if they arent marked can I assume it doesnt matter?
2 X 78E's
TRX 850.
CT 110
3rd XS not bought yet

Offline pgnz

• Welcome to the group. Now let us know a bit about you in General Discussions
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2011, 04:46:37 PM »
I only know about the 78 model, from memory the two pairs of wires that hook to the coils,   there's a grey and orange with shared red/white, same as your pic, but with a well butchered wiring system as on mine they could be any colour, but they match the pick-up coils at the crank,  if they're back to front they might backfire at 180 deg out but not sure about that because the XS11 has the waste spark thing, but can't be assed sitting down and swatting it all up again,  but the pick up coils do have to be the right way coz they'll backfire and damn near blow the engine to bits when they're out of whack

Offline Jonesy

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2011, 12:16:27 PM »
How critical is it to to which terminal on the new coils the red/white, grey and orange wires connect too?

2 X 78E's
TRX 850.
CT 110
3rd XS not bought yet

Offline pgnz

• Welcome to the group. Now let us know a bit about you in General Discussions
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2011, 05:04:15 PM »
The dyna coils are heavy-duty and punch out great performance in any conditions.   Cracks me up reading the Yank sites where "the experts" will tell you that the aftermarket Chinese trinket shyte coils from MikesXS are "every bit as good as Dynas but cheaper with it..."  Same with the junk MikesXS chinese trinket shock absorbers ...

Also there's a whole crock of crap that's been circulating XS11 forums for years about the XS11 TCI "frying itself" without the ballast resistor.   BOLLOCKS!  The ridiculous power-robbing ballast resister is there as a "just in case" to keep the plain stock coils from running too hot and eventually crapping out. Nothing to fekkin do with the TCI.

I've ran stock coils and no ballast resistor for big miles with never a hint of any problem.  You'll notice that the "experts" telling you that your TCI will fry are the same "experts" who have never actually "fryed" a TCI in real-life practice,  the "advice" is all just based on theory ...   

Dynacoils are top performance and rock-solid reliability.  You'll never hear a bad report about them.  They're proven quality.  I've run them for about ten years on my XS11 and they've been nothing but outstanding.  AND they're the reddish-brown full-on 1.5 ohm variety without the dopey resistor wired in to weaken your spark.  Dynacoils don't need ballast resistors anywhere bloody near them.

The resistored plug caps I also ditched long ago to replace with non resistor caps.  The TCI handles all this stuff a piece-of-piss.   The various "electrical gurus" out there clucking and wringing their hands and trying to convince everyone otherwise are all just waffling theory through holes in their backsides. LOL

Offline Jonesy

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 06:24:21 PM »
3 ohm coils and 7mm leads arrived from z1 enterprises yesterday, $177 all up in my RMB in 8 days
Should keep me amused in the shed for a day or 2 nad hopefully be rid of that terrible flat spot down low???????
2 X 78E's
TRX 850.
CT 110
3rd XS not bought yet

Offline melbxs

• Melbourne '81 RH
  • Brian - 1981 XS1100RH
    • XS1100RH Gallery
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 02:11:03 PM »
Jonesy,

You have to fab up a couple of fitting adapters for the Dyna coils so that the leads point downwards rather than out to the side.

All is explained in this thread:

http://www.benefiscal.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=843.0

You'll notice his coils are Orange rather than Green. The Orange coils are 1.5 Ohms rather than 3 Ohms and with 1.5 Ohm coils you retain the ballast resistor. Better to get the green ones and remove another potential point of failure IMO.

Offline petejw1966

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 11:22:18 AM »
hey jonesy,

if u replace the coils with 3 ohm coils,
the ballast resistor is removed and the 2 wires joined together,
the plug caps have 5 ohms resistance,
and ull also need  7mm copper wire spark plug leads, i think 8 mm will fit also.
Peter
suzuki 2008 hayabusa gen2

former owner
1981 XS1100RH

Offline Jonesy

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 08:27:09 AM »
Any of you blokes that have already done this conversion, able to put a shopping list together for an electrical heathen like me? and also explain the different ohms, ballast resistor, and  resistor type plug caps requirement for an "E" model.
I noticed one of my plug leads is arcing across to the valve cover intermittently. so a similar conversion might be on the cards for me too.

Thanks
Jonesy.
2 X 78E's
TRX 850.
CT 110
3rd XS not bought yet

Offline melbxs

• Melbourne '81 RH
  • Brian - 1981 XS1100RH
    • XS1100RH Gallery
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 09:18:43 AM »
just a question? and excuse my ignorance! but do you still need to use resistor type plug caps with these coils?  :-[

I didn't, but after my TCI went on the blink I put resistor caps on. Not sure if there was any connection, but I'd rather not trash another TCI if I can help it.

Offline makzy

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 05:31:43 AM »
just a question? and excuse my ignorance! but do you still need to use resistor type plug caps with these coils?  :-[
MAX
 79 XS1100 STD (hack)
 80 xs1100 STD
( yet to be played with )
   ( ride the way you want to)

Offline Jim

• Mackay Qld
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 08:56:09 PM »
Had mine on the bike for 12 months now.....no problems  only codt me $65.00 including postage. Right place right time ;D
XS1100R '81 Current  Plus an old XY fairmont
CB750/4 '79  Basket case
Past
XVS1100
DR250
TT500
XT250
Honda Scrambler Horse

Offline melbxs

• Melbourne '81 RH
  • Brian - 1981 XS1100RH
    • XS1100RH Gallery
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 04:37:00 PM »
With the current exchange rate there won't be a better time to get a pair of these lovely bits o kit.