Author Topic: My XS1100 build.  (Read 4149 times)

Offline 4130coffs

• Welcome to the group. Now let us know a bit about you in General Discussions and email me your postal details so I can send you our group stickers etc.
Re: My XS1100 build.
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2014, 05:02:12 PM »
Didn't get much happening this weekend, but top triple clamps cleaned and ready to get TIG'd up and old bar mounts deleted/smoothed...  8)

Offline Jonesy :-)

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 10:24:47 AM »
yeah the big tank actually exaggerates (the look) of the clip ons making them look more extreme than they really are. So if you're after a cafe' look thats probly not a bad thing. JMO
78 E Stock
78 E Stockish with spoked wheels
80 G spoked wheels and other subtle mods
81 RH problem child. Gone & forgotten
97 TRX 850
94 Yam 350 Big Bear 4 wheeler
?? Yam TTR 125 with milk crate. (RIP the Posty)

Offline 4130coffs

• Welcome to the group. Now let us know a bit about you in General Discussions and email me your postal details so I can send you our group stickers etc.
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 08:00:04 PM »
coming along nicely,
one thing to look out for with the clip ons is steering lock, you might have to put in some new stops so you dont dent the tank with the bars at full lock. I tapped some threads into the lugs on mine and put some  M5 or 6 screws in to fine tune the steering lock.
That's a good idea! I'm not sure i like the standard tank with the clipons anyhow, too big and bulky. I'll either get cutting or look into retrofitting something else to it i think :)

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 06:54:34 PM »
coming along nicely,
one thing to look out for with the clip ons is steering lock, you might have to put in some new stops so you dont dent the tank with the bars at full lock. I tapped some threads into the lugs on mine and put some  M5 or 6 screws in to fine tune the steering lock.
78 E Stock
97 TRX 850

Offline AussiXS11G

• Administrator
  • mmmmmm XS1100
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 06:10:43 PM »
Looking good for sure...
Bryan
Mobile 0404 540 617
1998 Laverda 750S
1984 Laverda RGS 1000
1980 Yamaha XS11
1980 XS1100 outfit
http://s578.photobucket.com/home/aussixs11G/allalbums
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=aussixs11g&aq=f

Offline 4130coffs

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 05:31:27 PM »
Clip Ons arrived!

Need to shorten my throttle cable and rethink my plans for the tank now though! R1 lever fitted.

Headers finally on and fitting correctly. Steering head bearings regreased, oil cooler removed, carbs back on.. Started giving the frame a good clean too!

Hopefully i have some time next weekend to see how she'll run and whether the carbs are clean enough yet!

Offline 4130coffs

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 09:16:38 PM »
Well, i've been really busy the last few months and haven't really made any real progress unfortunately. I think finally I have clean carbs though!
Here's hoping I can get something more substantial happening soon!

I did manage to get some much nicer header bolts today to replace the ones that were fitted to the bike when i received it (old on left, new on right)...

Will keep you posted with progress when i can! :)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 09:18:25 PM by 4130coffs »

Offline pgnz

• Welcome to the group. Now let us know a bit about you in General Discussions
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 09:03:33 PM »
good choice those bluespots are primo calipers,  used ones with unknown history good idea to whip the pistons out and check the seals and grooves, one piece bodies so need to juggle the pistons out with a thin board and footpump.  Meanwhile  those carbs are surely clogged going by all that gunk,  dirty emulsion tubes and pilot jets cause havoc and there's the low-range circuit with 4 tiny holes to the carb throat including the mixture screw hole,   there's two air circuits as well,  you can follow where those circuits go by eye, shove a thin wire thru them, probably need to swish them in carb cleaner and blast air thru everything,  the choke circuit from the fuel bowl too 

Offline 4130coffs

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 08:27:15 AM »
Hey Matt,

Is that Devcon you're using to make the missing bit?

Eddy

Hi Eddy,

Yep. Amazing stuff!
I'm not exactly sure how "fuel safe" it is, but it was enough to get my motor fired and running (if only for a short 10 seconds time)

I now have an overfuelling problem i didn't have previously, so i've obviously made a bit of a boo boo somewhere :(  (can't think where, will find out when i pull carbs down again)

Anyway, if the devcon fails - i'm up for a carb body. Which i was already anyway. No harm no foul!

Cheers
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 02:59:14 PM by 4130coffs »

Offline XSIIE

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 07:19:33 PM »
Hey Matt,

Is that Devcon you're using to make the missing bit?

Eddy
"If we do what we always do then
we will never be more than we are"
Poh (Kungfoo Panda).
78E x 2
78E DJP Chair
80G (current project)
81H
81RH x 4
82P x 2

Offline 4130coffs

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 06:38:46 PM »
A little carb repair was in order....

Appears to work a treat  8)

Offline 4130coffs

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 06:18:49 PM »
G,day Matt
I bought a complete brake set up like you pictured, you probly already know, but the R1 hoses are too short, and you'll have to rewire the brake s/w.  I just cut the old plunger type switch and put some female spade connectors on.
Are you going to fab up your own caliper brackets?
Theres a discussion here http://xs1100.com.au/forum/index.php?topic=1698.0
about clearances and shimming etc. plus theres another blue spot topic(s) if you do a search

Hey Jonezy! Yeah, i'm not fussed about the lines. I'll most likely be using braided anyhow. I got the whole setup for half the price i could get callipers and a lever for here in Aus including shipping from Florida!!! I have seen the posts about them, and i'll be fabbing up some brackets like most have already done. That thread's actually where I got the idea from!

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 05:32:44 PM »
G,day Matt
I bought a complete brake set up like you pictured, you probly already know, but the R1 hoses are too short, and you'll have to rewire the brake s/w.  I just cut the old plunger type switch and put some female spade connectors on.
Are you going to fab up your own caliper brackets?
Theres a discussion here http://xs1100.com.au/forum/index.php?topic=1698.0
about clearances and shimming etc. plus theres another blue spot topic(s) if you do a search
78 E Stock
97 TRX 850

Offline 4130coffs

My XS1100 build.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 03:20:34 PM »
G'day all!

I've picked up myself an XS1100 project bike and I would like to share the build process with you all. So i'll start this thread off and update it as I go along with pics/info etc...
Plan is to build a stripped back cafe racer. I won't by any means be breaking any new ground on engineering, nor will i be breaking any new ground on cafe racers - but that's not the aim. The aim is a simple, clean bike that performs and looks good - that i can ride to work everyday and have some fun on the weekends...

Here's the eBay Picture

After getting the bike transported up from Sydney to Coffs Harbour, spend the afternoon checking out where it's at.

Managed to wire it enough to get the starter going. A temporary Vanish bottle "fuel tank" retrofitted with a spare petcock will do the trick! Much faster/easier access than removing the tank!  8)

Has good spark - but looks like it's not getting enough fuel. This is possibly why....

Pulled the trigger on an '01 R1 brake setup from USA, for quite a good price. Will get onto fitting when they arrive...

Comments and constructive criticism/feedback is encouraged  8) Negativity, not so much ;D

Cheers!

Matt