Author Topic: RH ReHab  (Read 14125 times)

Offline BrettS

• Novice bike rider
Re: RH ReHab
« Reply #166 on: February 21, 2018, 01:08:34 PM »
Looking good, good luck with your old bike.

Offline Jonesy :-)

« Reply #165 on: February 02, 2018, 01:42:52 PM »
yeah 2nd gear is perfect, its the 5th gear dogs that drive it that are rooted  ::)
Learning all the time, i even commented on the 5th gear condition somewhere ( pg 4 reply 54) earlier in this topic but wasnt aware of the effect on 2nd gear
Anyway re-hab is pushed to one side now, my first XS that i just got back from chrisso is on the bike lift getting a spruce up for Wellington
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 07:44:29 AM by Jonesy :-) »
78 E Stock
78 E Stockish with spoked wheels
80 G spoked wheels and other subtle mods
81 RH problem child. Gone & forgotten
97 TRX 850
94 Yam 350 Big Bear 4 wheeler
?? Yam TTR 125 with milk crate. (RIP the Posty)

Offline steptoe

• Administrator
  • Geoff,, a XS addict,, Bundy QLD
    • Bikes and trucks what more could you want
« Reply #164 on: February 01, 2018, 10:03:26 PM »
I remember a phone call where a bloke once said, " oi this is me you're talking to,,
I would've thought you'd checked 2nds dogs whilst in a disassembled state,
It does look better on the outside of the shed Iv'e gotta say

« Reply #163 on: January 30, 2018, 11:14:59 PM »
Hey Errol, the centrestand was already on it, but this thing is a bit of bitsa, so not surprising that it has the wrong one, i've got another stand I can size up for fitting before attacking this one with the gas axe.

Bryan, the further back you stand the better it looks.
78 E Stock
97 TRX 850

Offline Eveready1100

• Have Bike, Will Ride.
  • Childers , QLD
« Reply #162 on: January 30, 2018, 09:25:15 PM »
Hi Paul. Did that centrestand come on the bike, or is it one you've put on? Reason I'm asking is that the stands are different between the Rh's and the standards. The mufflers on the RH's /Specials are much fattter in the area where the centrestand foot lever loops around the pipes than on a Standard as the fat bit on them is further back to the rear of the bike. like you said though, nothing a bit of oxyitis won't sort out.
Errol
1979 XS1100 SF Special
1978 XS1100E Donor
"I know stuff about stuff."

Offline AussiXS11G

• Administrator
  • mmmmmm XS1100
« Reply #161 on: January 30, 2018, 08:52:36 PM »
Nice work
Looks good
Bryan
Mobile 0404 540 617
1998 Laverda 750S
1984 Laverda RGS 1000
1980 Yamaha XS11
1980 XS1100 outfit
http://s578.photobucket.com/home/aussixs11G/allalbums
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=aussixs11g&aq=f

« Reply #160 on: January 30, 2018, 11:45:34 AM »
Carby parts turned up Yesterday (thanks again Eddy)
installed float needle and seat then motor was fired up, theres that bloody ringing again, definitely from the bottom end, stop engine, remove pickup coil cover, re-start, aha its only the pointer rubbing on the timing disc....whew
mixture screws set by ear (watched and listened to Mal do it at wellington) Number of turns out ? who knows but it sounds right, synchro set up with carbtune, now purring.
Took for an unregistered 10k ride into town (population 50 ish, no need to find a back road when you live on one) and back dissapointingly 2nd gear is virtually non existent, jumps out with no provocation from the throttle, I can live with that for now, more so than jumping into gear, everything else working well but, couple of other minor adjustments are the centre stand not folding up properly, the bit you put your foot on is hitting the muffler. qhick hit with the oxy will fix that, other  job I need to do is track down an annoying rattle from the fairing. but all in all happy with how it turned out, hopefully I'll do a better job of fixing 2nd gear than the bloke who sold it to Tony (retro)
78 E Stock
97 TRX 850

« Reply #159 on: January 28, 2018, 09:24:48 AM »
Just to add some trivia
The rear prime port(s) on the fuel taps have been plugged off, octy valve hoiked, as the front ports on the taps do both on and reserve duties leaving minimal plumbing under the tank, as it should be, like the benchmark standard
78 E Stock
97 TRX 850

Offline steptoe

• Administrator
« Reply #158 on: January 25, 2018, 05:36:54 PM »
go you

« Reply #157 on: January 25, 2018, 04:26:14 PM »
So, at the moment fuel tank is off, the bottom is off the air filter housing so I could suss out exactly which carby was leaking, the bowl and float are removed from the No:1 carby and the freshly Welded up pipes are fitted after a good going over with a brass wire brush and steel wool to get rid of some road grime and some of the lighter surface rust.
And now a little over a year after starting the job I couldn't resist any longer in hitting the start button, she started straight away (as a triple) and ran for about 5 seconds, woohoo! wasn't too concerned with the short run period especially in its partly assembled carby state.
There was a sort of weird whistling type noise that I thought was coming from the bottom end of the motor but 5 seconds wasn't really long enough to pin point it.
Anyway, nothing went bang clatter clunk so I gave it another start with what was left in the 3 fuel bowls and again she started straight away and with whistling for another 5 seconds.
At the moment I'm telling myself the whistling is probably something to do with carby and air box being apart......so now I can't wait for Eddy's special delivery of carby bits (thanks heaps Eddy)  and give it a proper chance to run as a fully assembled 4 cylinder XS11.
Fingers crossed it doesn't jump into gear by itself any more.
78 E Stock
97 TRX 850

« Reply #156 on: January 18, 2018, 04:40:02 PM »
got a bit side tracked and decided to fit up the tank and re plumb carbys w/out the octy space waster.................one step forward 2 back, again! No:1 carby pissing fuel, luckily was able to remove bowl and float etc w/out taking carbs off. Float needle and seat are on the shopping list.
78 E Stock
97 TRX 850

« Reply #155 on: January 15, 2018, 04:15:29 PM »
Onto the exhaust repairs

The left muffler is cracked all the way round and i think the internal baffling/piping must be the only thing holding it together, opposite side to crack pic is covered in what can only be called weld spatter that even 3 coats of paint wont strengthen, a few  tacks will be applied to hold everything together while previous repair attempts are ground off and then its out with the old bbq lid to donate some patching material.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 04:21:48 PM by Jonesy :-) »
78 E Stock
97 TRX 850

Offline makzy

« Reply #154 on: January 11, 2018, 10:14:37 PM »
I had the same problem a few years back when I fitted new manifolds, no matter what I tried just couldn’t get them on.
So next day I put the carbs in the sun on the concrete path all day then smeared rubber grease over the carb spigots and inside the manifolds and with the manifold cap screws loosend off just enough to let them move a bit it was in like Flyn, and have remained easy to remove and refit since.
Bloody frustrating tho!

MAX
 79 XS1100 STD (hack)
 80 xs1100 STD
( yet to be played with )
   ( ride the way you want to)

Offline steptoe

• Administrator
« Reply #153 on: January 11, 2018, 09:42:09 PM »
excellent progress

« Reply #152 on: January 11, 2018, 02:27:09 PM »
since the carby battle, motor was topped up with oil, gear selctor gizmos assembled with 2nd gear selected and witness marks all lined up, I was then able to select neutral. plugs removed and the starter button hit and wound motor over with no rattles bangs or clunks. Oil dropped away in sight glass so pump appears to be working and hopefully all the little internal weirs and filter are oiled up for ignition sequence
Before that happens I need to get on with exhaust repairs........more to follow
78 E Stock
97 TRX 850